Tuesday, February 5, 2013

At last....


Remember this quilt? Well the top is finally pieced! In the end it didn't take too long, but I find it difficult to make time for extended craft sessions when I'm working. Long Service Leave means that hopefully I'll get a lot done over the next few weeks!


The blocks and small border use French General's Rouenneries Deux fabric. The large border is from their new line La Belle Fleur - bought from The Needlewoman in Hobart. Have you been to their recently revamped store? It's beautiful - twice as big with lots of natural light and loads of gorgeous goods.

I'm still deciding what to do about the backing. I'll need around 4 1/2 metres of fabric - quite expensive if I go with more French General, more affordable if I do a homespun cotton in a dark beige.


I'm reasonably happy with my technical skills on this one. Some points are great...

Others are dismal! But with all the busy prints you don't really notice the imperfections, and I'm happy with the overall effect and balance.

I'm looking forward to getting this quilt finished. It's quite substantial at 1.8m X 2.0m, and covers my double bed nicely. Can't wait to choose the binding and sit down for some hand finishing.

My next project is a Quilted Crow cotton and wool applique runner using the fabrics above. This has been on my waiting list for a long time. Has everyone see their wonderful book 'Elegant Quilts, Country Charm'? It's absolutely divine. We should be so proud of our very talented local crow girls!

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job on all those points. The quilt looks very beautiful. Love the photograph of the fabrics for your new project.

    ReplyDelete